Below are a few key talking points to share with your organization about the
NAMSS 45th Educational Virtual Conference & Exhibition and tips to guide your conversation for justifying your conference attendance:
- Before meeting with your supervisor, prepare a plan that shows who will cover your duties while you attend the virtual conference. Plus, with all sessions available on-demand following the conference, you’ll have the flexibility to complete your work and attend the NAMSS sessions!
- Offer to prepare and deliver a short presentation and Q&A session for your colleagues to share what you learned at the conference. This way, your coworkers will also benefit from your attendance. NAMSS is offering a special group rate if there are others that may benefit from attending the virtual sessions — save 25% on each registration for groups of three or more individuals from the same organization.
- Share speaker presentations handouts with your colleagues. NAMSS attendees will have unlimited access to download presenter materials.
If you are working to obtain or maintain the CPCS or CPMSM certifications, remind your supervisor that this is a great way for you to earn up to 45 NAMSS CE Credits toward your recertification.
Step 1: Determine the Cost of Attending
With a fully virtual event, the only cost you incur is the cost of registration! Hotels, travel, food and all other miscellaneous expenses, which quickly increase the cost of attendance, are not a factor this year. Take advantage of the savings and focus on the benefits of furthering your knowledge and preparing for the future of the profession!
Step 2: Outline the Benefits
When showcasing the benefits of the virtual conference focus on what you will bring back to your organization as a return on their investment. Use the schedule and exhibitor list on our website to highlight sessions you are interested in attending and vendors you would like to meet and answer the following questions:
- Which sessions have particular relevance to the work you do?
- Which sessions can teach you a skill and/or help your team overcome current or future challenges?
- Are there any speakers your organization would benefit from hearing from or working with?
- Which exhibiting companies will be demonstrating the tools you use or are evaluating for potential future use?
- What value could you get from discussions with other credentialing specialists?
- How will you benefit from networking with your peers and brainstorming ideas to enhance the current state of CVOs?
When considering these questions, keep these tips in mind:
- List specific sessions you plan to attend and explain how they will impact you, your department, and your facility.
- Clearly make the connection between your facility’s needs and the benefits you are identifying.
- If the funding is outside of your department, don’t assume they understand your department’s goals or any technical terms. Spell out the impact for them.
- Passion is the best persuasion technique – let yours shine through in your letter.
Step 3: Draft Your Request
Use this customizable letter to show the costs and benefits of attending that you outlined above.
Dear < approver’s name >,
I would like to attend the NAMSS 45th Educational Virtual Conference & Exhibition taking place October 18 – October 21, 2021. This virtual conference and exhibition experience is the premier educational event in the medical services field, and is an opportunity for me to attend a wide variety of educational sessions that are directly applicable to my work, and to virtually network and connect with a variety of experts and colleagues from across the country.
Presentation topics range from < list relative topic > to < list another relative topic >, and I am confident that the education and skills that I gain will be directly applicable to my work.
In order to attend the conference and gain these benefits, I am seeking sponsorship of < total amount you need > for registration expenses:
The opportunity for me to develop a network of contacts and to gain knowledge in specific areas in an innovative, cost-effective virtual platform makes my attendance at the NAMSS 45th Educational Virtual Conference & Exhibition a wise investment that will benefit our organization as we look toward to future of patient safety. Please let me know if you have any questions, or would like more information on the NAMSS conference.
< your name here >